Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
St. Francis physicians Philip F. Bongiorno, MD, and Sanjay P. Tripathi, MD, have extensive experience and complement the team of cardiologists, radiologists, emergency medicine physicians and other health care providers comprising the St. Francis heart care team.
St. Francis Cardiothoracic Surgery offers:
- Beating heart coronary artery bypass surgery
- Minimally invasive atrial fibrillation ablation surgery
- Heart valve repair and replacement
- Da Vinci robotic heart surgery
- Minimally invasive resection of lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer resection
- Endovascular repair of thoracic and abdominal aneurysms
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Peripheral vascular interventions and surgery
- Vein ablation for varicose veins, chronic leg swelling and venous ulcers.
About our physicians
Phillip Bongiorno, M.D.
Sanjay Tripathi, M.D.
Dr. Bongiorno earned a bachelor's degree at the University of Michigan and a medical degree at the University of Michigan Medical School. He completed his cardiothoracic surgery residency at Emory University, Atlanta, Ga., and an internship and general surgery residency at the University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor. He has had a comprehensive career both teaching and performing cardiac, thoracic and vascular surgery. Dr. Bongiorno sees patients in Topeka.
Dr. Tripathi earned his medical degree from Maulana Azad Medical College in New Delhi, India. He completed his thoracic surgery residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago and his clinical fellowship in adult cardiothoracic surgery at Emory University in Atlanta, Ga. He was trained in minimally invasive surgery at Emory University and robotic surgery applications for mitral valve repair and coronary bypass surgery in Birmingham, Ala. He has published numerous articles in medical journals and has extensive experience in cardiac, thoracic and vascular surgery. Dr. Tripathi sees patients in Topeka and Junction City.
To schedule an appointment for either Dr. Bongiorno or Dr. Tripathi, call 785-270-5115.