This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
There are no particular poisonous ingredients unless the dirt contains contaminants such as insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers, parasites, and waste.
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The patient may not need to visit an emergency room. If the person goes to the hospital, treatment may include:
Medicines to treat the symptoms
Recovery is very likely unless the dirt contains something that can cause complications.
Weinberg A, Levin MJ. Infections: parasitic and mycotic. In: Hay WW Jr, Levin MJ, Sondheimer JM, Deterding RR, eds. Current Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment. 19th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2009:chap 39.
Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
are leaving the St. Francis Health Center/Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth
Health System website. Persons visiting this external site assume full
responsibility for use of its information and agree that St. Francis/SCLHS is
not responsible or liable for claim, loss/damage arising from this use or for
the content of any external site. Your use of any external site is subject to
our full disclaimer.