Financial Assistance Policy
St. Francis Health is committed to fulfilling our Mission to "reveal God's healing love by improving the health of the individuals and communities we serve." We will always treat you with respect and dignity while we work with you to resolve your financial obligations to St. Francis Health for services provided.
As you face a hospital stay, tests or procedures, St. Francis Health will work with you to understand your financial obligation for services. Based on eligibility, including consideration of the services provided, income level and ability to pay, St. Francis Health may discount your entire bill or a portion of your bill and will work with you to make payment arrangements for any remaining balance due.
While St. Francis Health takes many things into consideration when making a determination on providing financial assistance, eligibility for financial assistance is generally based upon:
- Income level and ability to pay for persons who do not have private insurance, Medicaid or Medicare.
- Extends to individuals who face financial hardships paying outstanding balances that are the patient's responsibility after insurance pays (such as deductibles, co-pays and co-insurance).
- Applies to all emergent, urgent and medically necessary services. Services determined to be of a non-emergent or non-urgent nature (such as cosmetic or elective services) are not eligible for financial assistance.
- Cooperation with our eligibility vendor and/or our Financial Counselors, for screening to determine eligibility for public benefits or other alternative payor sources.
- If you do not have health benefits, emergency care will never be delayed or withheld on the basis of your ability to pay.
- St. Francis Health requires a deposit for services for non-emergent, non-urgent services and will work with you to make payment arrangements for any remaining balance after the deposit is made.
Steps to follow:
- Contact our financial counselor to discuss qualifications at 866-665-2636.
- Complete the eligibility screening application with our eligibility vendor at St. Francis Health.
- If you are determined to be eligible for Medicaid, Medicare or other public assistance, we will help you complete an application for the appropriate program.
- If you are not insured and are not eligible for one of these insurance programs, our financial counselor will discuss our Financial Assistance Policy and details of the discounts with you. Discounts apply only to treatment and services provided by St. Francis Health. You will need to make separate financial arrangements with physicians and other providers.
- If you do not qualify for financial assistance, but have concerns about paying your medical bills, St. Francis Health will work with you to make arrangements (by check, credit card, interest-free installment payment plans). Please contact our Customer Service Representatives at 866-665-2636.
As part of our Financial Assistance Policy, St. Francis Health is committed to making patients aware of anticipated charges for the care they will receive at our facility. The total charges that will appear on your bill will depend on the actual services that are ordered by your physicians. It is very difficult to anticipate exactly what those charges will be because every person is different and so is the treatment your doctors will order for you. Because of this, amounts quoted for services may vary. These charges are for St. Francis Health only and are not inclusive of physician charges.
Discounts provided to eligible patients (see Eligibility guidelines above)
Financial assistance is available for those with no health benefits and who qualify and comply with our required documentation, based on our Financial assistance policy.
For more information
Contact a St. Francis Health financial counselor at 866-665-2636.