Health Insurance Marketplace
Affordable Care Act and Health Insurance Marketplaces - At a Glance
Millions of Americans now have access to affordable health coverage due to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Many of the uninsured can use new Health Insurance Marketplaces to find coverage that is affordable and meets their unique healthcare needs.
Health Coverage Enrollment
• Health Insurance Marketplaces in every state allow people to compare prices and shop for health insurance – online or by phone. So, for those who don’t have insurance – or if their insurance doesn’t cover the care they need – they’ll be able to buy quality, affordable plans that fit their needs and their budgets. Open enrollment for 2014 ended on March 31 and open enrollment for 2015 begins on Nov. 15, 2014. People who experience a qualifying life event can sign up during a special enrollment period.
• The Marketplaces will provide information about each health plan and its costs in easy-to-understand language so that consumers can compare prices and shop for coverage.
Making health coverage affordable
• Financial assistance will be available to help many Americans afford quality health coverage. The amount of financial assistance is based on income and family size.
• For example, those making less than $15,900 or a family of four earning less than $32,500, may qualify for free or low-cost coverage Medicaid.
• Individuals making between $15,900 and $46,000, and a family of four earning between $32,500 and $94,200 will qualify on a sliding scale for financial assistance to help buy insurance in the Marketplaces.
• For those who qualify, the average annual subsidy for an individual can be as much as $5,290.
• Plans must cover doctor visits, hospitalizations, maternity care, emergency room care, prescriptions, mental health and more.
• Insurers cannot deny coverage to consumers with a pre-existing condition, or charge more based on gender.
Contact St. Francis Health’s Certified Application Counselors at 785-270-7622.
Visit healthcare.gov to learn about the Marketplaces and financial assistance, and enroll for coverage. If you have questions, call the Marketplace Call Center at 800-318-2596. TTY users should call 855-889-4325.