First Days Clinic
The first few days can be overwhelming, even for experienced parents. During your stay at the NewLife Center, we may schedule an appointment for you and your newborn in the First Days Clinic, which is operated by an advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP). One to three days after leaving the Health Center, your baby will receive a first checkup to help make sure the transition to home is a healthy one. The ARNP will address the physical and emotional changes that accompany a new baby's arrival. The ARNP gives reassurance and guidance by:
- evaluating your newborn for jaundice
- evaluating feeding effectiveness
- screening for congenital heart disease
- identifying potential health problems through a physical exam
Some new mothers need more frequent monitoring the first few weeks after birth. The First Days Clinic can help with:
- blood pressure monitors for mothers with hypertension
- incision checks for mothers who have had caesarean sections
- breast problems
- emotional challenges associated with childbearing
- postpartum depression
- sleep deprivation
The First Days Clinic accepts referrals from physicians and other health care providers. Close communication with the primary care providers helps ensure that families receive high-quality health care.
Hours are by appointment. To schedule an appointment, please call 785-270-5072.